Sunday, October 26, 2014

Stubborn Love



The dumbest part of this whole thing is that when I was going through the schedule, that twisted modified schedule that Delany handed us as part of the Rutgers/Maryland package, I knew, I knew that this was a loss.  I've known it since last year.  I didn't see anyway around it.

She'll tear a hole in you, the one you can't repair
But I still love her, I don't really care

So why did it still hurt?  Was it the particular level of ineptitude, even knowing that Michigan was more than capable of it?  Was it because losing to a rival stinks any way you slice it?  I don't know, I wish I knew?

When we were young, oh, oh, we did enough
When it got cold, ooh, ooh, we bundled up
I can't be told, ah, ah, it can't be done

Goodness knows it would be so much easier not to care.  To chalk it up to another bad season, a dead coach walking scenario, to check the score when it was over and wait for better days and brighter tomorrows.  But we don't.  And I don't know that I get it.  I can't explain to you why I want to watch next week against Indiana, I can't explain it at all.  And yet I do.

It's better to feel pain, than nothing at all
The opposite of love's indifference
So pay attention now, I'm standing on your porch screaming out
And I won't leave until you come downstairs

I've said so much before about why I think we keep coming back, but all of those things might just be cover for the fact that we need to believe in something larger than ourselves.  We love being an individual, but to share a belief with a group of like minded people is powerful.  The down side of that connection is that you're never going to always be on top.

So keep your head up, keep your love
Keep your head up, my loveKeep your head up, my love 
Keep your head up, keep your love

Homecoming next week will be like so many cliche family holiday gatherings, too much tension, too high of expectations, inevitable disappointments.  But keep your head up, keep your love.  Because some day, it will be better.  Some day you'll be able to tell people you got through the hard time.  Some day you'll appreciate the good more because you've been through this.

No comments: