Friday, November 16, 2007

When the Head and the Heart Part Company...

On Wednesday night, someone on Deadspin Up! All Night asked me this very simple question:

"So, I hate to ask, but what's your thoughts going into this weeks big game? Do they win one for Lloyd?"

I pondered it, and I pondered it further. After the jump, my reply.

I don't know. I just don't know.

My heart tells me yes, that somehow, playing exactly one year to the day of Bo's death, Hart/Henne/Long's last home game, the last game in Michigan Stadium in its current configuration, and potentially Coach Carr's last game, that everything is setting up for the boys to rally together and win one, putting a gleaming capstone on what is a too readily dismissed period in Michigan football history.

My brain says Wells...Wells....Wells....The Mad Genius in a Sweatervest....DeBord still calling plays....Hart hurt....Henne Hurt...Wells...Crable's propensity to do something stupid...Mallettosis...Can't be done.

But, and you'll forgive me referencing Scripture during Football Easter week:

"But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love."

If hope dies last...if faith did not leave me after The Unpleasantness and The Slaughter in September, when it would have been easiest to be tested, but instead I still chose to believe. If Michigan football is my one true unquestioned love of my entire adult life, I have to believe they will find a way, even if everything logical and rational tells me not to get my hopes up, I must believe. Because hope does die last.

Or as someone much better at this than I am said: Go. Fight. Win. Please.

But, as someone else said, sometimes you only have two words left, and they are the only two you need. Go Blue!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that the dance team doesn't go to the Bowl games. They don't even get any funding from the school. Is this true?