Sunday, March 30, 2008

Best Bet

There are some people who love gambling on sports, any kind of sports. Vegas has their own testaments to them, but I'm not part of that group. A $5 NCAA pool, sure, but that's about it. In January, I came as close as I ever have to putting down a real bet on a team.

After watching the first half of the season, watching all of those freshmen come together, watching them open the season by taking down BC, sweeping the College Hockey Showcase, and then coming through in double-overtime to claim our first GLI crown in a decade, I started having dangerous thoughts. And after the thrashings we administered to Western, I couldn't take it anymore. I bought myself a flight to Denver.



I can't believe it paid off. I can easily believe in this team, but so often you run into a hot goalie or you have an off night. But we got a favorable draw for once and played with focus and dedication. I don't have a ticket to the games yet, but I have a connection to work and there's always StubHub. One way or another, I'm going to get in that building. The team we have here is something special and I'm not going to miss a chance like this one.

Update: My brother and I are now the proud owners of a pair of Frozen Four tickets. Who else is going to Denver?

No comments: