Thursday, May 10, 2012

Special K for a Day - HSR version

I am morally obligated to say that Michigan Stadium does not need rock music, let alone RAWK music from the PA during breaks.  We have the finest marching band in the land, one so good it needs no nickname.  But if we must have RAWK music, let's not suck at it.  This is Michigan, fergodsakes.


We appreciate Ace's efforts. We agree with several of them. That said, if we're making suggestions.

After the jump and in no particular order, any and all of the following songs would serve well to be added to the Michigan Stadium playlist.


"Gold on the Ceiling" - The Black Keys
You know the Michigan rule, mine Ohio for the best talent to keep it out of the hands of the Buckeyes.



"Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" - The Blues Brothers
I know you couldn't do it a lot, but every so often, man, this would kill.



"Across 110th Street (instrumental)" by J.J. Johnson and his Orchestra
In all seriousness, how is this NOT being played at Michigan Stadium already.  It's my ringtone for when Geoff calls fergodsakes.



"What I Like About You" - The Romantics
You know they're from Detroit too, right?



"Someday, Someway" by Marshall Crenshaw
I love jangle pop and Mr. Crenshaw is also a Michigan native (Berkely to be specific.)



"Mahna Mahna" by well, Mahna Mahna and the Snoweths
Am I alone in not only really wanting this played, but also a video version that has various Michigan alumni celebs saying Mahna Mahna into the camera?  Plus, you know, Muppets and what not.



"Superstition" by Stevie Wonder
Firstly, Ace said it best: "I've never heard "Superstition" and thought it was being played at an inappropriate time."  So I'm seconding this and picking the Sesame Street version, because it's an amazing level of funk for a children's show.  (Seriously, think about it, "Higher Ground", "Sir Duke", "Uptight", "Fingertips", "Living for the City", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours."  You add some Stevie Wonder to the stadium and I genuinely believe you would make EVERY constituency happy.)



"Get Ready" by the Temptations
In the same vein as picking an awesome Motown track...My goodness, maybe in pregame warmups?



"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
Football connection due to its use in Remember the Titans.  Another one of those songs that just makes people happy.  I'm telling you, Motown, Motown, Motown.



"You've Got The Love" by Florence + The Machine
A wild card pick, but damn, if it doesn't explain Michigan football pretty well.



So there you have it.  Ask me another day, I'd probably have some other suggestions, but for now, Special K, event services, game day staff, start here.

No comments: