Friday, August 24, 2007

Football + Music = ???

We're barely a week away from actual football returning, and next week we'll have actual football content here. For me, the return of football also means it's time for me to create a new mix CD to listen to while driving to Ann Arbor. I did that for the first time last year and we went 7-0 at home, so QED. This is the 2006 Game Day mix:

  1. Sleater-Kinney – The Fox
  2. AC/DC – Back in Black
  3. Neko Case – Hold On, Hold On
  4. The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army
  5. The Gossip – Listen Up
  6. Björk – Army of Me
  7. M.I.A. – Galang
  8. Idlewild – Roseability
  9. Nirvana – In Bloom
  10. REM – Orange Crush
  11. Franz Ferdinand – This Fire
  12. Mirah – Light the Match
  13. Pavement – Summer Babe (Winter Version)
  14. Sonic Youth – Teen Age Riot
  15. Lucinda Williams – Out of Touch
  16. The Black Keys – Girl Is On My Mind
  17. The Clash – Brand New Cadillac
  18. Sleater-Kinney – Jumpers
  19. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Maps
  20. Michigan Marching Band – The Victors (Trio)

Several tracks are tributes to other universities. "This Fire" is for Ohio State, "Teen Age Riot" is for MSU, and "Light the Match" is for West Virginia. "Brand New Cadillac" is for Oklahoma, even if it was a Kia dealership that got them in trouble. And I realize now that I should've saved "Orange Crush" for this year, but hindsight is 20/20.

Now it's time to reload for 2007, which I'll be posting next week as soon as I've decided what's going on there. Any ideas, add them in the comments.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If it were for me I'd have to include AC-DC's Thunderstruck.

Although we're all proud that the Big House doesn't have any annoying loudspeaker music during the game, if you get there extremely early they do play music over the PA to fill time for the 1000 or so people there. Every week, without fail, they play Thunderstruck at about the same time before the game.

Since for the past 2 years I was in the Color Guard (the ROTC guys who raise the flag, not the flag twirlers) and we have to get there ungodly early, Thunderstruck has become my mental cue that football is coming.

Geoff said...

Good call, Bryan. I usually go to my seat after the band reaches the mouth of the tunnel, and I always seem to get there within a couple minutes of "Thunderstruck."

colin said...

Pavement!

If the tracks need changing, Cut Your Hair for UofI (J Leman specifically) could be interesting.